Saturday, September 17, 2005

White Owl Island Dreaming



Still singing low, the ferrywomen left me at the sandy shores of White Owl Island. I was a bit disoriented, but this improved as the wind slowed and the land was still. I breathed in and out and looked around. Ahead of me was thick scrub. I loosened my cloak and slipped across the sand with light steps.



On closer inspection, I saw that the way was barred by Old Man Banksia and She Oak trees. I gazed at their hardy display in wonder, and remembered. A wild smell of honey came from beyond the scrub. Smiling, I remembered my very distant ancestors. I felt the strange urge to bow and touch the earth, and did so. At once the trees parted to allow me passage.



It soon became evident the wild honey came from a profusion of melaleuca bushes, their bright white flowers sticky with fragrant nectar. From there most things were light, bright, sweet, wild. I explored the land on foot, then, watching for signs on the way to The Great White Owl's Nest.

copyright word and image Monika Roleff 2005.

8 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I can see you, digital in hand darling. What a wonderful way to narrate your journey to White Owl Island.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

(Heather, Did I mention this was hard work? Digital in hand indeed! Lots of fun too, being caught in 90 mile an hour gales -- hair is a MESS!) Thanks for the welcome encouragement...

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I am not surprised. It has been freezing here in Melbourne. Personally I am in awe of the images you have captured. You are making photography look easy and I know that it is far from easy. Your work is just fantastic.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Bless you, again and again.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Fran said...

The ravens or the queen or the magic must have been hovering over our street last night for the mini tornado swept up the space between the trees just two blocks away tearing off roofs and uprooting old old trees. Your photos are so peaceful. (Jim slept through while the ivy was torn off the next door neighbours fence. Won't it be a good thing when spring decides to stay? thanks, Fran

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Fran I am glad you got something back from these photos. The wind was strong by the bay. I heard some reports on the news and am pleased to hear you have no damage to report. Yes, there must have been magic at work.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Good pics, Monika, I can feel the wind and smell the honey. That is nectar to me sitting here in the desert, where the change of seasons is barely felt and the wind, when it blows brings the dust with it.

Vi

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Vi, you are not wrong. Will post some more pics of Australian natives, a lot of which smell rich with honey, at the Hermitage I think. There are many out this time of year - some manna in the desert for you....but the wind was biting yesterday and had I not been so pic obsessed I wouldn't have been out in it! Oh well, job done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home