Sunday, September 18, 2005

Great White Owl

It was dusk when I completed my journey with the ferrywomen. With their guidance and wise advice, I made my way tentatively across the leaf and twig covered undergrowth, soft under my feet. I stood at the foot of a tree until it was dark. No words were said, but I saw a colour and then a patch of white high up.



I took something I had brought from the Hermitage with me, out of my cloak. It had been from the past, long ago, and had been cracked. I knew the Great White Owl wanted me to put it down at the base of the tree among the leaves there, so I did. Then I stood back and closed my eyes for a moment. After opening them again I turned around to look into the darkness, not fearing it.



When I turned back, knowing I could, there was something else there. The Great White Owl had magically reformed my cracked vessel, that I had intended to leave behind. Instead, it had been restored and could be taken back to the Hermitage. But by its side, lit by the full moon, was a colourful object. I heard a flutter of wings and saw a flash of white, then nothing.



I collected my precious items quickly into the folds of my cloak and hurried away, in wordless thanks at what had occurred just after dusk, in the realms of the Great White Owl.



I could make my way back, now.

copyright words and images Monika Roleff 2005.

2 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

You have returned with riches Monika. What a wonderful series you have compiled.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Better late than never, huh? This was so tough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home