Monday, September 19, 2005

The wisdom of silence

I tread a secret pathway
fearfully
and knowing nothing of this place

Flowers bloom on either side
but these
mishapen blossom have no scent

Long branches bar my steps
I trip and fall
run swiftly knowing no end to this

Strange birds whistle and call
cry wild cry free
these are birds of color not of song

The voice of the rivers waters
mutter
oaths? or instructions? all flow

from the high centre
Far below
ocean reflects this tropic moon

Night shadow falls, I stand
at the base
of the great white gum

Look upward, upward, as at last
I hear her voice
watch her wings spread

wide above and ask, "O Great White Mother
bird of the forest
what word have you for me?"

"No word, my child, no word from me.
Listen
Listen to the wind, the stars, the wave

Your way is yours
tread quietly
and hear."

3 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

That Wyse White Owl is wyse indeed to make you tread a path you have trod so well. Exquisite Fran!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Love the old ghost gum image very much.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Beautifully done, Fran. I sense fear and tranquility in those lines.

Vi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home